Tarpit usage question

Hi guys,

I had a usage question about tarpit in respects to connection tracking.
We have a firewall that has a fairly heavy usage so we have put a
separate box external of the firewall to do tarpitting of port scanners.
Anyways, we are still being hit pretty hard by many things on this
firewall.  I was thinking about configuration tarpit on the firewall
cluster but wanted to ensure that connection tracking wasn't a problem.

Is it as simple as just sending the connection to the NOTRACK chain
before sending it to tarpit?

iptaables -t raw -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j NOTRACK
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j TARPIT

Is there a better approach to this?  Will this even work?  The rules
above are more or less just a sample.  I would want to block almost all
traffic destined for the input chain on the firewall on the external
interface unless it is related traffic.

Gary Wayne Smith