Re: Can anyone tell wat's going on here?

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 12:49:39PM -0300, Sergio Penkale wrote:
> Hi, I have a problem that's driving me crazy:
> I have a nat box running Debian Sarge under a 2.6.11.7 kernel. I compiled
> this kernel myself, which could be the source of problems.
> The nat box itself works great, but masquerading has a strange problem,
> some things work and others don't. For example some web pages (like google)
> work great, and some others (like hotmail for example), don't work at all,
> while in the nat box all of them work.
> I've tried https pages on the clients and they work, so the problem seems to
> be at the level of packets, and it only affects the traffic that gets
> masqueraded.
> I have a lot of iptables rules, but it makes no difference using only
> trivial
> masquerading rules. That is: flushing everything, setting all policies to
> ACCEPT
> and adding "-A POSTROUTING -s 10.10.10.0/255.255.255.0 -o ppp0 -j
> MASQUERADE" in nat.
> Usinf SNAT instead of MASQUERADE doesn't make any difference either
>
> The problem also arises when doing ssh: i login to a remote machine and do
> an ls
> of a directory with many files. If i make this from the nat box it works
> fine,
> but if i repeat those same steps from a masqueraded client i only get one or
> two listing lines and then it just hangs.
> Here's the tethereal output of this: 201.252.166.212 is my ip and
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> is a remote machine, i've already loged in and i start capturing when i
> send the
> ls command. From the nat box it works ok:

your symptoms scream 'MTU Issue' at me.  try this rule and see if it
fixes it:

  iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN \
    -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu

-j

--
"Brian: Seriously, who buys a novelty fire extinguisher?
 Peter: I'll tell you who: someone who cares enough about physical