SSH Brute force attacks

please introdoction program name for SSH_Brute_Force and Telnet_Brute_Force

Brent Clark <bclark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:Taylor, Grant wrote:
> # Let's jump to the SSH_Brute_Force chain if this is a new connection
> that is not from my IP address.
> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -s !
> $MYIPADDRESS -j SSH_Brute_Force
> # If there have not been 4 NEW connection attempts from this source IP
> address in the last 60 secons let's return to the INPUT chain.
> iptables -A SSH_Brute_Force -m recent --name SSH ! --rcheck --seconds 60
> -m recent --hitcount 4 --set --name SSH -j RETURN
> # Well, the NEW connection has been seen so let's update the SSH recent
> list.
> iptables -A SSH_Brute_Force -m recent --name SSH --update
> # I like to log on a line by it's self so I don't have to remember to do
> it on my last line prior to the end of my script.
> iptables -A SSH_Brute_Force -j LOG --log-prefix "SSH Brute Force
> Attempt: "
> # Let's send the person that is trying to SSH in to us to the TARPIT
> target and make them think twice before they try again.
> # TARPIT will force the site that is SSHing in to us to timeout the
> connection. Sure stick you hand in my port, I'll grab hold of it and
> not let go,
> # you will ahve to chew your arm off and grow a new one and try again.
> iptables -A SSH_Brute_Force -j TARPIT
> # I can be a mean vindictive SoB (Sweet Old Buzzard. NOT!)

Hi all

Thanks to Grant for the info above, but for some funny reason I cant get
the following to work

iptables -A SSH_Brute_Force -m recent --name SSH ! --rcheck --seconds 60
-m recent --hitcount 4 --set --name SSH -j RETURN

this what I get back:
[root@abc root]# iptables -A SSH_Brute_Force -m recent --name SSH !
--rcheck --seconds 60 -m recent --hitcount 4 --set --name SSH -j RETURN
iptables v1.2.9: Unknown arg `4'
Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.
[root@ns root]#

Regards
Brent Clark