Re: IP sent an invalid ICMP type to a broadcast and icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 09:26:28PM +0200, Sebastian Siewior wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> My kernel complaints himself every second with:
>
> kernel: XX.XX.XX.XX sent an invalid ICMP type 3, code 1 error to a
> broadcast: 0.0.0.0 on lo
>
> In the meantime I supressed the messages via
>
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses".
>
> Other people solved this problem with
>
> iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
>
> but it won't work here. Does someone have an idea how I could find out
> where the packets are comming from?

ICMP Type 3 Code 1 == Destination Unreachable, Host Unreachable

seems odd that you would be sending/receiving those on lo.  i suppose
they could be caused by not having rules that allow traffic on loopback:

  iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
  iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT

but you say these don't fix the problem?

you may be able to pick out an offending packet by watching:

  tcpdump -n -nn -p -i lo -s 1500 icmp

as a proper ICMP 3/1 packet should have the original packet header
in-tact as the data of the packet.

-j

--
"Peter: Make like Siamese twins and split... and then one of you die."
        --Family Guy