On vanilla Fedora 3, can't do a transparent proxy (-j REDIRECT)

Hi. I've been reading through the FAQ and some of the recent list
history, and haven't found much guidance on the problem below.

I am trying to do a transparent proxy from port 80 to port 8080. I've
had no problem doing this on a recent release of SuSE (iptables
1.2.9), but something's not working on Fedora 3.

The version of iptables on this release of Fedora is 1.2.11

/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward shows: 1

(any other settings in /proc/sys/net/ipv4 that could affect this?)

I've tried it two ways, which I think should be equivalent (the
system's IP is 192.168.10.101):

/sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j
REDIRECT --to-port 8080

/sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to 192.16
8.10.101:8080

Port 8080 is definitely open, and I can browse to that port with no
problems. For 80, I get connection refused.

My filter table is wide open; nothing in mangle, and I show below
what's in nat to show that the setting is at least there. Also below I
show the nat table when I use -j REDIRECT.

Any ideas? I'm completely stumped.

John

[root@preview preview]# /sbin/iptables -nvL
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 944 packets, 351K bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 653 packets, 143K bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination

[root@preview preview]#

[root@preview preview]# /sbin/iptables -t mangle -L
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
[root@preview preview]# /sbin/iptables -t nat -L
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
DNAT       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:http to:192
.168.10.101:8080

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

And here's the nat table when I use -j REDIRECT (looks good . . .):

[root@preview preview]# !352
/sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-p
ort 8080
[root@preview preview]# /sbin/iptables -t nat -LUT
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
REDIRECT   tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:http redir
ports 8080