From: netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jason
Opperisano
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 11:15 PM
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: snat

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 11:07:38AM -0500, Taylor, Grant wrote:
> Marco Berizzi wrote:
> >Hello everybody.
> >I would like to better understand the SNAT target.
> >Man states:
> >
> >"You can add several --to-source option. If you specify
> >more than one source address, either via an address range
> >or multiple --to-source options, a simple round-robin  (one
> >after another in cycle) takes place between these addresses.
> >
> >I would like to know if this round-robin cycle is per packet
> >or per socket.
> >
> >TIA
>
> Don't hold me to this, but I think that the SAME target will implement
some
> SNATing across multiple IPs and ensure that any given connection and
> possibly system will get the ""same source IP (hens the name) as it
goes
> out.  Can any one back me up on this?

SAME is a way to have a pool of addresses for SNAT, but keep either (a)
connections between the same src and dst IP SNAT-ed to the same SNAT IP
or (b) all connections from a single src IP always get the same SNAT IP
(regardless of dst IP).

for the sake of completeness, SAME also works for DNAT as well.

-j

--
"Peter: Oh, you people can kiss the fattest part of my ass."
        --Family Guy