Re: Linux forwarding Win XP hosts VERY slowly

----- Original Message -----
From: Alistair Tonner <Alistair@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, May 1, 2005 5:10 am
Subject: Re: Linux forwarding Win XP hosts VERY slowly
> On April 30, 2005 01:41 pm, Dave Cinege wrote:
> > I've built an advanced rotuign appliance, and I'm having 2
> outstanding> problems, that I'm being to think are related to the
> linux ip/netfilter
> > stack, choking on XP traffic (possiblity XP-SP2) hosts that are
> on the LAN.
> > I'm running 2.4.30 at the moment.
> >
> > The 2 problems I'm seeing:
> >
> > 1) Forwarded traffic (most notably web) is VERY slow with XP
> clients.>
> > Example: Saw this last 2 nights ago: Appliance has a linksys
> Wifi bridge
> > attached to a NIC. Customer browses through the appliance to the
> Linksys> config page. It moves like molasses. He browse to the
> local Zope hosted
> > made page. Slow as hell. I unplug his machine, and plug my linux
> laptop> into same switch port. Linksys and Zope pages load adn
> reload instantly.
> > Plug his machine in....slow again.
> >
> > 2) Zope serves user interface pages for the appliance. Zope has been
> > locking solid for no apparent reason, but only when and Windows
> host is
> > attached. The trick is SOME windows machine don't seem to cause
> a problem.
> > Example:
> > I worked with a unit for 3 days using a customers XP desktop.
> Not a hiccup.
> > My partner came in and attached to the network and starting
> connect to our
> > appliance with his XP laptop. Within 15 minutes Zope was hung.
> >

> I would strongly suspect the XP box has a b0rken TCP stack
> happening. One
> thing that some windows systems will do is flat out ignore the TCP
> MTU/window
> size settings on the network, especially if you've a) set them up
> for modem
> dialup b) installed anything that is supposed to automatically
> improve your
> internet speed c) hard wired (EVER) the MTU settings. I had a
> win2k box that
> had this sort of issue once, and even though it was at that time
> set to use
> default settings for MTU/max recieve window and the like, I had to
> completely
> uninstall the tcp stack, the network card driver, all modem bits
> etc and
> reinstall em from scratch to get it to behave normally. For the
> record,
> Ethereal dumps of the communications CLEARLY show that the windows
> box is
> using bad MTU settings and bad TCP window sizes, if this is the case.
>
> I *still* believe that there are settings left on that box (still
> in use these
> days) that cause issues periodically. Cant wait to get it out of
> service
> later in May.
>
> Hmm ... Grant T has the same drift (darn ... mail filters are
> [...]
Have a look at the WXP computer if patch KB893066 is installed as this one changes some default TCP window size. I had a whole LAN down before stumbling across this is one. Once removed everything worked fine. Here is the KB article from MS :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;893066

Hope this helps you ...

Enjoy your day,

Bernd Lippert