Re: DNS rules

dnsmasq would be a bit off topic here. :)
you can download it from ....
http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html (I will prefer the source)
After extracting the source, read "README" for howto install its
pretty straight forward.
./configure; make install (needed)

this will copy "dnsmasq" binary /usr/sbin , which needed to running
the dnsmasq daemon by type "dnsmasq" as root.

You can find the configuration file in /etc/dnsmasq.conf

You only have to change the line...

# Change this line if you want dns to get its upstream servers from
# somewhere other that /etc/resolv.conf
#resolv-file=

Note is not necessary coz if you don't set "resolv-fle=" , dnsmasq
will read /etc/resolv.conf for upstream dns servers (where you have
already specified your ISP dns IPs)
If you prefer to set "resolv-file=" tag then here are the setups

#vi /etc/mydnsserver (create a file where you have to hard code the
ips of your ISP dns servers

in the file type

nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xx (replace xxx with the ip)
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxxx.xx (specify as many dns servers you wants)

then in /etc/resolv.conf , delete all the entries and type ...

nameserver 127.0.0.1

Now start dnsmasq , and try to confirm that its working by "dig, host,
nslook etc)

You can also use dnsmasq as DHCP server ;)

Now you have to tell iptables to allow upd port 53 hmmmm

iptables -A INPUT -p udp -s 192.168.2.0/24 --dport 53 -j ACCEPT (for client)
iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT (dnsmasq towards your ISP dns)

Hope this will helps

Regards
Askar

On 5/1/05, varun_saa@xxxxxxxx <varun_saa@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]