no netfilter debugging?

I'm still trying to find out why NAT stops working after awhile, so I'm
again going to see if anyone has a way to debug this.  I'm not asking
for people to debug it for me, I'll do the leg-work, but how do you
debug at the kernel-level what netfilter is doing with packets?  The
firewall/load balancing works for awhile then suddenly stops working,
could be 5 minutes, could be 5 hours...I am at a loss as to what causes
it and nothing in dmesg/syslog for errors.  Just flushing the rules and
routing tables and re-configing fixes the problem so I'm guessing there
is some limit it is hitting, but with nothing being logged I don't know
where to start.  I'm not sure if some of the kernel debugging tools can
be limited to only view netfilter activity, but I think that's what I'll
need to figure this out.

Thanks,
Dan