Re: Accounting with iptables vs. snmp

Stefan-Michael. Guenther (in-put GbR) wrote:

Hi,

using iptables I have setup a traffic accounting on one of our client's gateways:

iptables -A INPUT -i $WAN -j LOG --log-level debug
iptables -A OUTPUT -o $WAN -j LOG --log-level debug
iptables -A FORWARD -j LOG --log-level debug

SNMP will record arps and other traffic that hits the nic regardless of it being directed to that machine or not, iptables (above) will not. The numbers will likely always be different, I am surprised that iptables would ever report more data being processed than snmp would.