Re: REDIRCT vs. DNAT...

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 05:12:41PM -0500, Taylor, Grant wrote:
> Are there any merits to using REDIRECT over (or under) DNAT when
> redirecting traffic back to the box that is doing the redirecting?
> Reference Alejandro Villarroel's post (and thread) at
> https://lists.netfilter.org/pipermail/netfilter/2005-April/059942.html.
>
> I responded with an email stating to REDIRECT the traffic only moments
> after Jason Opperisano responded stating to DNAT the traffic.  I'm just
> curious if any one knows of any performance benefits / penalties for using
> REDIRECT vs. DNAT.

REDIRECT is a special case of DNAT, where the dst IP is rewritten to the
IP address of the interface the packet is received on (optionally
re-writing the dst port as well).

i used DNAT in my response, as it wasn't clear from the OP what local IP
the translated packets needed to be sent to.

-j

--
"Peter: I'd sell my soul to be famous.
 Satan: We've got a live one. Peter.