Re: Logging suggestions

http://www.qosient.com/argus/

is maybe what you need. it runs stable and i always found the data i needed.

cheers
moritz

Taylor, Grant wrote:
Oh, my, that will be tough. Keep in mind that you will quite likely be generating more data doing the log than you will be having pass through your box, especially if the traffic has a small payload. I would really be tempted to look at using TCPDump to dump everything to a file and then parse the file. I don't think the LOG or ULOG target are designed for such high traffic volumes. Even if they were, LOG logs to SYSLOG, which it in and of it's self is not meant for that high of a volume. I've never messed with ULOG so I can't say. Are you needing payload as well or just header information? I still think TCPDump or some form of an IDS would be a better bet. Try taking a look at Snort and see if that will come close to what you need.

Grant. . . .

hareram wrote:

Hi all

I have large capacity link like STM with my provider
Iam planning to log the every packet, source IP , Dest IP, Src port, Dest port , Type of Service
what kind of system configuration recommended

what kind of logging system is better ?
iam trying to use Ulogd and try to log every packet, but the kernel crashes after 5min

i have Xeon 1GB ram with 40GB Scsi HDD running FC1

How can logging whole history of the packet with the better performance
with out any payload to the user access, and transparently

any suggestions will be appreciated

hare

-- Uplink student association Moritz Gartenmeister Bülachstrasse 1 F 8057 Zürich Switzerland