Re: not sure ESTABLISHED TCP traffic will have ACK flag setalways...

Grant

Wow!  Thanks again.  You cleared up the last missing piece about ACKs!
So the slow side can ACK multiple sequence numbers with a single
packet.  Likewise, the /fast/ side can send multiple ACKs for
the same repetitive sequence number.  That makes perfect sense.

Now I believe that TCP packets can all have ACKs set on an
ESTABLISHED connection.

Chris

P.S. BTW, I'm curious how you knew this level of great info.  Did you
carefully read through RFC 793?  That was jam packed with info but
hard to digest fully.

No, I cant say as I recall reading RFC 793 in particular, though I do read a LOT of RFC pertaining to what I do, I'm a systems administrator / consultant, so I need to know a lot about email (SMTP), DNS, www (HTTP), etc. I spend a lot of time helping others get their system up to speck thus I've run across a lot of not quite up to spec but close enough to work *most* of the time. I get called when it does not. If ever I run across things that I don't know about (and it happens more than you might think) I turn to RFC, Google (this is a REALLY BIG ONE), and peers in the industry on mail lists like this one. It's not what you know, it's who you know to ask. :)

Grant. . . .