Re: Iptables, nat, and IPSec

dave beach schrieb:
 > It´s an IPSec problem. I don´t want to go into detail but you probably
should try NAT-Traversal.
 > For the theory http://www.ipsec-howto.org/x180.html

Okay, I've read the reference. If I understand correctly, I need to use a
NAT methodology that implements "NAT Traversal" (the reference is a little
vague on this; in fairness, it does say "There are no RFCs at the moment").
It might be therefore fair to say that the Linksys implementation includes
NAT Traversal, enabling it to handle multiple IPSec passthrough connections.

Which leads me to what I suppose was the original question, now slightly
modified: does iptables support NAT Traversal?

from the webpage:
"What does NAT traversal do to help? NAT-traversal again encapsulates the ESP packets in UDP packets. These can easily be handled by a NAT device since they provide ports."

So you have to activate on your clients the NAT-T "feature" and be sure the other side supports it too.

And to answer your question, yes every NAT device should be able to handle multiple IPSec NAT-Ted connections because they are wrapped within UDP packets and so every connection can be tracked. Essentially is that both sides which use IPSec are aware of NAT-T and it is correctly configured.