From: netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Grant Taylor
Sent: 24 March 2005 01:37
To: Jared Cook
Cc: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Using NAT to relay traffic

The problem that you are having when you port forward traffic from Box A to
Box B is that the returning traffic comes directly from Box B to the client
that sent the traffic in the first place thus you have an incorrect
communications path.  Ironically I just had to work on a situation sort of
similar to this one.  What I did in my situation to accomplish this was to
DNAT the traffic destined to Box A over to Box B, like you have done.  You
also need to SNAT the traffic leaving Box A on it's way Box B to be from Box
A's IP so that when Box B replies it will reply back to Box A which will in
turn reply back to the client system.  Thus you no longer have a triangle of
client to Box a to Box B to client but rather client to Box A to Box B to
Box A to client.  Let me know what your network config looks like if you
would like me to come up with some iptables rules for you.

Reference my replies to "HELP! Transparent Proxy using bridging 2.6.9 and
REDIRECT on	different subnet" thread for an example or email me and I'll
try to provide more help.

Grant. . . .

Jared Cook wrote:

I have two servers on two different networks. I am running a service on box A that I am transitioning to box B. While I wait on DNS to propagate, I would like to do some iptables magic to send traffic from box A to box B using NAT. For instance, when pop3 email users connect to box A, I would like box A to send the request to box B transparantly. Is this possible? I have had success doing port forwarding to the local machine, but when I specify box B as the "--to", it doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jared