Re: mac-filtering is not working (nfcan: addressed to exclusive sender for this address)

On 2005.03.17 17:55, Manuel Schmitz - Port17@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hello,

I am desperately trying to establish mac-filtering on my debian-router.

- All default chains are empty, policy set to "ACCEPT".
- I execute

  iptables -A FORWARD -m mac --mac-source $MY_MAC -j ACCEPT

  and then set the FORWARD-Policy to "DROP". Now I expect the chain to
  drop all packages exept these coming from $MY_MAC. Am I right?
- It does not work. It drops ALL traffic. So why?

How do you know that *all* packets are dropped? Why would changing the default policy affect a working rule? Have you done iptables -L -nvx and examined the counts?

The rule is for one direction only - from $MY_MAC to the world,
there is no provision for traffic to $MY_MAC.

A rule like this would handle most reply traffic:
iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

For a really good reference on iptables in general, check out
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/

-- Jim Laurino nfcan.x.jimlaur@xxxxxxxx Please reply to the list. Only mail from the listserver reaches this address.