iptables memory question

I have about a gigbyte of ram and trying to install approximately 28000
rules.
I'm getting  "iptables: Memory allocation problem" error.
Is this because i don't have enough ram.
Is there a formula or rule of thumb to calculate how much ram is needed for
a certain number of rules.

Jay Zorzi
Systems Administrator, Information Technology

MarketLink Solutions
see further. achieve more.

e - jzorzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
t - 416.260.2800 x299