Re: Packets Counting

Heh, no fair!  That's more clever than the one I did off the cuff :)

Bill Chappell wrote:

I do not have time this instant to share the code but the outline of a packet counter I use is to create chain MANGLE_ACTIVITY in -t mangle, add a rule that simply RETURNs to MANGLE_ACTIVITY, Insert a jump to the MANGLE_ACTIVITY chain in -t mangle PREROUTING (so it is the first chain hit by all incoming packets), use whatever matches, like --sport or --dport (remember to specify protocol with port matches) and/or an interface match. Then, in a script (mine happens to be Perl), run "iptables -t mangle -nvL MANGLE_ACTIVITY" and pipe (|) it through grep to get the RETURN line with the packet count and pipe it through awk to pick off the packet count followed by "iptables -t mangle -Z MANGLE_ACTIVITY" to zero the counter, both in a loop with a sleep to get the interval (approximately).

Hope this helps.

Bill

(Without deadlines, we'd live forever.)

M. A. Imam wrote:

Can i record the the number of packets each 2 seconds with tcpdump. i can see packets with tcpdump but how to count it every 2 seconds

===== Original Message From edvin.seferovic@xxxxxxx =====
Maybe you should use tcpdump for testing purposes instead of using iptables.

Just my opinion.

Regards,

Edvin