Private traffic seen on public NATed interface - Linux 2.6.10-11 tested

Hi Folks,

Today we noticed that some traffic appears to be getting by netfilter unNATed. The computers use typical SNATing such as :

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -j SNAT -s <private ip space> -o eth0 --to <IP of eth0>

While we were dumping traffic on the public interface, we noticed private IPs showing up in our dumps.

We verified that there existed sessions between private IPs and public Internet sites where some of the private traffic was returning to the Internet site not NATed.

We started watching, and saw this occur on servers with 2.6.11 and 2.6.10 kernels which are all we have to test with.

These kernels were compiled locally.

For example, tcpdumping on a public interface where no private IPs should live :

15:19:22.066190 IP 10.0.7.100.2640 > 142.176.33.171.http: R 2946695981:2946695981(0) ack 4138631275 win 0
15:19:22.066516 IP 10.0.7.100.2641 > 142.176.33.170.http: R 818314876:818314876(0) ack 4144245614 win 0
15:19:22.066684 IP 10.0.7.100.2638 > 142.176.33.170.http: R 3381617258:3381617258(0) ack 4136231656 win 0
15:19:22.067353 IP 10.0.7.100.2639 > 142.176.33.170.http: R 3920569986:3920569986(0) ack 4133397861 win 0
15:19:22.068045 IP 10.0.7.100.2642 > 142.176.33.170.http: R 3340982500:3340982500(0) ack 4135371285 win 0
15:19:24.001820 IP 10.0.5.13.2023 > 65.54.194.118.http: F 0:0(0) ack 1 win 64790

It appears the offending traffic is not payload type traffic and is just control traffic, although our testing was only looking at a small dump with Ethereal.

Is there something we may have been setting up incorrectly?
JES