RE: NAT doesn't work (only a fraction of the forwarded packets reach the postrouting chain)

El dom, 13-03-2005 a las 14:34 +0100, Sietse van Zanen escribiÃ:
> Because netfilter is a stateful firewall basically.
> It logs the first per NEW and marks the latter as RELATED,ESTABLISHED.
>
> Only packets that match the NEW state will increment the counters. It counts how many connections have been set-up. Not how many packets belonging to a connection pass. These will be counted in a -j ACEEPT --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED rule, if present.
>
> You could bypass this by creating stateless rule, but that would defeat the purpose of a stateless firewall.

But you can use stateful rules to ACCEPT or DROP the packets and
also stateless rules to LOG the packets, or sending them before the
stateful rules ACCEPT of DROP them to a chain that contains RETURN
rules to get the counters.

This is what I do and it works quite well.

Regards.

--

Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC