RE: NAT doesn't work (only a fraction of the forwarded packets reach the postrouting chain)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Sietse van Zanen wrote:

From man iptables:
MASQUERADE
This target is only valid in the nat table, in the POSTROUTING chain. It should only be used with dynamically assigned IP (dialup) connections: if you have a static IP address, you should use the SNAT target.

Try using regular SNAT rule:

Iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface eth0 -j SNAT --to-source:your.pub.ip.addr

Now using:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
modprobe ipt_MASQUERADE
modprobe iptable_filter
iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface eth0 -j SNAT \
  --to-source 81.172.241.145
iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface eth1 -j ACCEPT

This gives me the same result as previosly. What confuses me further is that no packets seems to be accepted from the wlan-interface.

iptables -L -v

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
125 5000 ACCEPT all -- wlan0 any anywhere anywhere

iptables -t nat -L -v

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
4 295 SNAT all -- any eth0 anywhere anywhere to:<IP>

As before, I'd be most grateful for any suggestions!

/Mårten Segerkvist