Re: Problems With MASQ/ Kernel 2.4.29

Ing. Rogelio Sevilla Fernandez wrote:
I recently compiled kernel 2.4.29 with all netfilter options as modules.

All start ok, but when i set the MASQUERADE jump target on POSTROUTING
i got:
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables: target problems.

when using PREROUTING rules, you should specify the incoming interface, not the outgoing. Or, said the other way around: when using an outgoing interface, you should specify POSTROUTING rules.

So, because you try to masquerade, what you really want is:
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

See section 5 in the NAT-howto for iptables.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Geert van der Ploeg