Errors with forwarding rules

I am trying to add a rule to forward traffic.
i.e.  -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

I get this error message when trying to load the rule

ERROR: Command "/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state
ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT" Failed

I also cant use webmin to configure firewall rules for forwarding
related and established connections.
I can block traffic fine but when it comes to adding any forwarding
rules all I cant add the related and established rule.
The machine is a new install of debian 3.0, iptables 1.3.1. I have a
redhat 8 machine that these rules work great on.
Any help would be great.

Dan Jones

Angel Fire Resort
Angel Fire, NM 87710