RE: Adding variables to iptables file

-----Original Message-----
From: netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John A. Sullivan
III
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 5:19 PM
To: Veena Etcell
Cc: Netfilter users list
Subject: RE: Adding variables to iptables file

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 21:36 +1100, Veena Etcell wrote:
> Ahh... The format of the example is skewiff.
>
> It should read:
> # Generated by iptables-save v1.2.11 on Mon Mar  7 22:18:56 2005
> EXT_INTERFACE="eth0"
> *filter
>
> EXT_INTERFACE="eth0" being the variable noted in the original email.
>
> Regards

<snip>
>Hmmm . . . perhaps I am misinformed but I thought one could not use a
>variable in a file passed to iptables-restore although one can use them
>in a regular script which uses the iptables command.  Of course,
>iptables-restore is the way to go for loading large rule sets.

This may not be related, but I'm also getting this error.  I upgraded from
iptables-1.2.8-12.3 to iptables-1.2.11-3.2 on a CentOS 3.4 box.  I created
the new version from src.rpm.  Now, when I fire off iptables, I get the
"error at line 2", which in my iptables is nat, and iptables fails to load.
Further exploration and experimentation shows that when I try to load
iptable_nat.o, I get symbol errors.  However, when I run a iptables script I
created, despite a little complaining, iptables does load.

Any help to get this fixed (which hopefully helps the OP, too) would be
greatly appreciated.