[Fwd: RE: ftp behind the firewall [SOLVED]]

> On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 09:25 -0800, Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN
> wrote:
> > travis,
> >
> > re-state your scenario. its incomplete.
> >
> > how do you know its running fine?
>
> Normal Web traffic, ftp users outside the firewall coming in, windows
> boxes behind the firewall, etc. are all running and accessing
> information as expected.
> >
> > what distro and version of linux are you running?
>
> Mandrake 8.1, kernel 2.4.8-26mdk
> >
> > what doesn the config for ftp look like?
>
> Rules for ftp:
>
> # Network information you will need to adjust
> INTERNALIF="eth1"
> INTERNALNET="192.168.2.0/24"
> INTERNALBCAST="192.168.2.255"
> EXTERNALIF="eth0"
> MYADDR="12.42.147.158"  # Only needed for DNAT, leave out otherwise
>
> #Insert modules- should be done automatically if needed
> /sbin/modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp
> /sbin/modprobe ip_nat_ftp
>
> #Allow replies coming in
> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
>
> #Send ftp to an internal machine
> $IPTABLES -A PREROUTING -t nat -i $EXTERNALIF -p tcp -d $MYADDR --dport
> 20 -j DNAT --to 192.168.2.5:20
> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $EXTERNALIF -p tcp -d 192.168.2.5 --dport 20 -j
> ACCEPT
>
> $IPTABLES -t nat -A PREROUTING -i $EXTERNALIF -p tcp -d $MYADDR --dport
> 21 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.2.5
> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $EXTERNALIF -p tcp -d 192.168.2.5 --dport 21 -j
> ACCEPT
> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $EXTERNALIF -o $INTERNALIF -p tcp --syn -d
> 192.168.2.5 --dport 21 -j ACCEPT
> #Masquerade internal connections going out.
> $IPTABLES -A POSTROUTING -t nat -o $EXTERNALIF -j MASQUERADE
>

> > is the blocked by default.
> >
> > when you say my windows machines dont seem ot have this problem..
> > where do these windoze boxen sit?
>
> All computers (linux and windows) are on an internal network connected
> via a switch to the firewall.
> >
> > anything anybody on this list offers up as a solution will not
> > be thought out well and will basically be a guess.
> >
> > i'm a visual person - draw me pix of your networks and
> > sanitize the ip with rfc1918 addresses and bitmasks as it
>
> Not quite sure I understand this...
>
> > makes no difference as its all cidr.....
> >

> Network picture
>
> Internet --> firewall --> internal network (linux and windows)
>
> firewall --> incoming ports: 80, 8080, 110, 25, 443, 143, 20, 21, all
> get routed to internal servers.  The rest are dropped/denied.
>
> internal network: should be completely masqueraded by the firewall
> #Masquerade internal connections going out.
> $IPTABLES -A POSTROUTING -t nat -o $EXTERNALIF -j MASQUERADE
>

> > guessing is a bad idea....
> >
> Agreed.
> >
> > need waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more info.
> >

> Anything else?  Will gladly provide it.
>
> Thanks!

Hi all,
I have found what the problem is.  It seems that the following three
rules have to be used in order to get complete masquerading to work.

$IPTABLES -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -A FORWARD -o $EXTERNALIF -s $INTERNALNET -j ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s $INTERNALNET -o $EXTERNALIF -j SNAT
--to $MYADDR

where $EXTERNALIF is my external interface (eth0), $INTERNALNET is my
internal network, $MYADDR is my external ip address.

Out of curiosity, could someone explain why the above three rules work
in all instances, while the following only work from a Windows
workstation? (even though both the Linux and windows workstations are
behind the same firewall and on the same switch)

#$IPTABLES -A FORWARD -s $INTERNALNET  -p tcp -j ACCEPT
#$IPTABLES -A POSTROUTING -t nat -s $INTERNALNET -o eth0 -j SNAT
--to-source $MYADDR

I have really appreciated all of your help!!

--
Travis Crook
Visions Beyond