Re: providing partial access to iptables for non root user

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 06:33, Michael JÃrgens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> IÂm looking for a solution to provide a non root user write access to a
> chain.
>
> In this special case I have to provide the a mechanism to block some ip
> adresses to connect to http.
> But this should be done by a non root user. The non root user should not
> change any other rule.
>
> Any ideas?

use sudo?

Host_Alias      LOCALHOST = thishostname

User_Alias	U_HTTP	= youruser

Cmnd_Alias	C_HTTP	= /sbin/iptables -A blockhttp -s * -j DROP

U_HTTP		LOCALHOST = C_HTTP

...or if is this is scripted:

U_HTTP		LOCALHOST = NOPASSWD: C_HTTP

obviously--there's opportunity for abuse here--but it's the best i've
come up with.  if you front-end this with a script, it will allow you to
scrub/check/validate the input much more extensively (which is what i
actually do).

-j

--
"Oh look at me! I'm making people happy! I'm the magical man from
 Happyland, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane!"