Re: Let me understand *RETURN*

Mohammad Khan schrieb:
On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 12:34, Jason Opperisano wrote:

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 11:15:58AM -0500, Mohammad Khan wrote:

I have couple of chains and rules for filter table

-N TCP_IN
-N TCP_OUT
-N UDP_IN
-N UDP_OUT
-N ICMP_IN
-N ICMP_OUT

-N P1_IN
-N P1_OUT
-N P2_IN
-N P2_OUT

-A FORWARD -d IP_OF_P1 -j P1_IN
-A FORWARD -s IP_OF_P1 -j P1_OUT

-A FORWARD -d IP_OF_P1 -j P1_IN
-A FORWARD -s IP_OF_P1 -j P1_OUT

why do you have the above 2 rules twice?

Sorry, copied and pasted .. should be -A FORWARD -d IP_OF_P1 -j P1_IN
-A FORWARD -s IP_OF_P1 -j P1_OUT
-A FORWARD -d IP_OF_P2 -j P2_IN
-A FORWARD -s IP_OF_P2 -j P2_OUT

-A FORWARD -j LOG --log-prefix "NOT_FORWARDED "
-A FORWARD -j DROP

-A P1_IN -t TCP -j TCP_IN
-A P1_IN -t UDP -j UDP_IN
-A P1_IN -t ICMP -j ICMP_IN
-A P1_IN -j RETURN

-A TCP_IN -t TCP --dport 80 -J ACCPET
-A TCP_IN -j RETURN

Sorry again.. for the typo

should be:
-A P1_IN -p TCP -j TCP_IN
-A P1_IN -p UPD -j UDP_IN
-A P1_IN -p ICMP -j ICMP_IN
-A P1_IN -j RETURN
-A TCP_IN -p TCP --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
-A TCP_IN -j RETURN

the option to specify the protocol is "-p" not "-t" (that specifies the
table to operate on)

For any tcp packet that going to P1 and don't have destination port 80:

returned to P1_IN chain from TCP_IN chain, then after
returned to FORWARD chain from P1_IN, and finally
dropping the packet after kept log.

Am I right?

yes, assuming the IP P1 is not local to the gateway in question.

IP_OF_P1 is local IP.
I didn't typed rules for P2_IN and P2_OUT

I am just trying to understand *RETURN* .

Thanks
Mohammad

RETURN only says that you stop testing the packet against the rules in the actual chain, return back to the outer chain and continue testing the packet against that rules in the outer chain. E.g.

iptables -P INPUT DROP

iptables -A INPUT -j rule1
iptables -A INPUT -j rule2
iptables -A INPUT -j rule3

iptables -N rule1
iptables -A rule1 -j RETURN
iptables -N rule2
iptables -A rule2 -j RETURN
iptables -N rule3
iptables -A rule3 -j RETURN

So now every packet destined for the local machine always wents through the INPUT chain. The default policy is set to drop.
Now letÂs say thereÂs a packet for the local machine. It wentÂs to the INPUT chain. The INPUT chain sends it to rule1. In rule one the RETURN traget sends it back to the INPUT chain. The INPUT chain sends it to rule2. Rule2 sends it back to the INPUT chain and so on till it is droppped by the default policy.

iptables -P INPUT DROP

iptables -A INPUT -j rule1

iptables -N rule1
iptables -A rule1 -j rule2
iptables -N rule2
iptables -A rule2 -j RETURN
iptables -N rule1
iptables -A rule1 -j RETURN

Again the INPUT chain sends it to rule1. Rule1 sends it to rule2. Rule2 sends it via RETURN back to rule1 and rule1 back to INPUT chain where it is dropped via default policy.

I hope this will help you. You can see RETURN always sends a packet back to the outer chain from where it was send to the actual chain.