Re: ftp behind the firewall

Hello,

Well to start you should find out the difference between the connections. For example the standard "ftp" command in Linux will use ACTIVE mode by default, were in windows Internet Explorer (if that is what you are using) may be using PASSIVE mode.

Or if you are using LFTP in Linux, it usually uses PASSIVE mode by default, and the command line FTP client in Windows would most likely use ACTIVE mode by default.

You need to narrow down the problem, try issuing the command "passive" to the Linux "ftp" command and see if that solves the problem. If so, then your active mode connections are not working.

Michael.

Travis Crook wrote:
Hi all,
	I would like to ask a question just for clarification.  I have a
firewall up and running just fine.  My problem is that I cannot ftp
through the firewall on a linux machine.  My windows machines don't seem
to have this problem.  Am I missing something?  Or is it a local linux
computer configuration issue.  I'll gladly provide any necessary
information.

Thanks!

-- Michael Gale Lan Administrator Utilitran Corp.

Hey, let me file that under important .... > /dev/null
"Hey did you read my e-mail"
"Let my check"
^From:.* > /dev/null
"Nope, I missed it, send it again"