Re: Dropping network "noise"

El dom, 13-02-2005 a las 15:09 +0200, Georgi Alexandrov escribiÃ:
> Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez wrote:
>
> >El dom, 13-02-2005 a las 09:28 +0300, Mikhail Zotov escribiÃ:
> >

> >>Hello everybody,
> >>
> >>I have a Linux machine (with a static routable IP address)
> >>connected to a windoops LAN.  As is known, there is certain
> >>"noise" in windoops networks, which can be silently dropped
> >>by a rule like this:
> >>
> >>iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 135:139 -j DROP
> >>

> >That's OK, but also DROP port 445 because there's also a great
> >amount of traffic in that port.
> >

> How exactly is that OK ? i guess you don't have anything listening on
> 135-139/udp, right ?

The OP *wanted* to DROP that ports, and their rules were OK. That's
all I said. And have in mind that even if you are not listening in
those ports you are responding RST-ACK packets if you don't DROP the
connections. I have to DROP the 445 packets from the Internet because
they cause my machine to send traffic I don't want to be sent.

> So you won't "save" any traffic with a rule like that, that's how
> ethernet works.

You save the RST-ACK responses, if I'm not wrong.

> The only point in a rule like that maybe is - if you are logging not
> matched packets at the end of the filter table/INPUT chain and don't
> want your logs flooded by that broadcast traffic.

That's right. But if you want to DROP the Netbios packets also
there's nothing wrong with it.

> >If you are don't want to receive traffic your broadcast it's OK.
> >

> same thing here ... you will receive that broadcast traffic no matter
> what. dropping it won't help.

Same reason that before. You receive the packets, but you don't
answer to them.

> regards,
> Georgi Alexandrov

Regards.