From: Samuel Jean [mailto:sj-netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: February 9, 2005 12:08 PM
To: dave beach
Cc: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Logging question

On Wed, February 9, 2005 11:32 am, dave beach said:
> Here are the actual rules in the nat/POSTROUTING chain from my
> rc.firewall script ($EXT_INT is eth0, $INT_INT is eth1, $EXT_IP is the
> ip address bound to eth0):
>
> #
> ###############################
> # STEP 5.11 - nat/POSTROUTING #
> ###############################
> #
> #   SNAT all packets to the firewall's external interface addr
> #
>       $IPTABLES -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $EXT_INT -j SNAT --to-source
> $EXT_IP #
> #   Log the outbound data
> #
>        $IPTABLES -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $EXT_INT -j ULOG
> --ulog-nlgroup
> 4
> --ulog-prefix "RAW OUT: " --ulog-qthreshold 1
>        $IPTABLES -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $INT_INT -j ULOG
> --ulog-nlgroup
> 5
> --ulog-prefix "RAW OUT: " --ulog-qthreshold 1 #

As a side note, it becomes obvious now why you don't get any log for eth0:

The packet going out on eth0 get SNAT'ed and suddently stop iterating
through that chain, its next step : the wire road.

The reason on why you got all the log for eth1 is that such outgoing packets
_don't_ match the requierement for being SNAT'ed. They, obviously, continue
iterating: they don't match the eth0 logging rule, but they next match the
eth1 rule.

All of this would work if eth0 logging rule was on top. Also, eth1 logging
rule position doesn't matter in this case.

Sorry if you already got it.

Have a nice day,

Samuel