RE: Logging question

On Wed, February 9, 2005 10:35 am, dave beach said:
> Thanks, Samuel.
>
> So, if I understand correctly, the reason that nothing at all is being
> logged out eth0 (via the rule in the nat/POSTROUTING chain) is because all
> those packets are related to packets previously seen by the state machine
> and thus don't traverse that chain.

Unless you tell my that you put the logging rule _after_ the DNAT rule.
I assume the above is right, but a bit unbeleivable. If that's really
what happen (entries already exist), you can verify if my
assumption/explanation is right by unloading the ip_conntrack module
(and everything depending on). And test again with fresh conntrack.

> Okay, but that leaves me with the question about why I'd see so many
> packets
> logged out eth1 via a similar rule in the same place. The above
> explanation
> seems to tell me that each and every packet so logged would be the
> "first",
> and thus new.

Perhaps you've put your eth1 logging after eth1 DNAT and you see log for
the eth0 NAT. Is that possible case ?

> I guess the way to test this would be to move BOTH rules to
> mangle/POSTROUTING. I'd expect, based on the above, to see the packets
> logged out eth1 to jump dramatically. Does this sound generally correct?

Both logging rules at top of this chain should tell you the truth.

Cheers,
Samuel