From: netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Jason
Opperisano
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 5:16 AM
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Port 25

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 04:32, Jose Maria Lopez wrote:
> I don't have the documentation handy, but it said making just a
> DROP could lead you to being DOS attacked. Have anybody heard
> something about this?

i propose that the exact opposite is true.  why should i make my
firewall undertake the effort of generating a RST packet for every yahoo
on the Internet that wants to scan my IP range for TCP 139, 445, etc.

DROP-ing a packet doesn't take any real effort on the firewall's part;
whereas generating a RST packet adds at least some overhead--which in
the extreme case could be significant.

-j

--
"Here are your messages: 'You have thirty minutes to move your
 car.' 'You have ten minutes to move your car.' 'Your car has been