Port 25

I have a problem getting mail packets to go out with my present firewall
setup.

What I have is a firewall that blocks/drops everything at the start and
then it goes on to allow access through specific ports. For Port 25 or
smtp to work, I have the following line which I was hoping to have mail
coming and going with this statement. However, outgoing mail can go, but
incoming has a problem:

/usr/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 25 -j ACCEPT

I also tried the following two lines to see if things would work but to no
avail..:

iptables -A OUTPUT -o $INTERNET -p tcp -s $IPADDR --sport $UNPRIVPORTS \
--dport 25 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i $INTERNET -p tcp ! --syn --sport 25 -d $IPADDR \
--dport $UNPRIVPORTS -j ACCEPT

So, if I take the firewall down, mail comes and goes just great..
What am I not seeing here??

---
The big cities of America are becoming Third World countries.
                -- Nora Ephron

Ted Gervais
Coldbrook Nova Scotia
Canada B4R1A7