Re: FTP Bounce Attack.

Vinod,

I was able to confirm this (iptables 1.2.11, kernel 2.6.9). The PORT command is indeed forwarded and unmangled, even if NAT is being used for the control session.

However, it appears that, while the PORT command is allowed and passed on to the server, the resulting "EXPECTING" connection (data channel) is not made available. So in that way the bounce attack is stopped. It appears, by glancing through the code, that this is the intended design.

But, this amounts to only disabling a bounce attack *through* the firewall. It does *not* restrict me from connecting to another device *behind* the firewall (or more specifically, to any host on the same side of the firewall as the server).

I think this has some significant security implications. I think you're right to raise the issue.

-dave