How to drop ping silently??

When I filter echo requests (pings) in the OUTPUT chain, the ping program says "sendmsg: Operation not permitted".

% iptables -A OUTPUT -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -j DROP
% ping 10.1.1.2
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted

Is there any whay to drop these packet silently, without let the ping know that he was blocked. I am programamming an application and I need this behavior. I want that ping believes that his packets were sent, but in fact, they were dropped.

Is it necessary to write a netfilter module to do that? Or is that impossible to do in the netfilter architecture?

Tks

Guilherme Ruppert