Re: what protocols need UDP instead of just TCP?? DNS, IMAP, SSH, etc.?

Jose Maria Lopez wrote:
El miÃ, 26 de 01 de 2005 a las 01:05, seberino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx escribiÃ:

I'm only allowing TCP out of my firewall.

What apps/protocls need UDP?

DNS, IMAP, SSH, etc.?

all the mbone protocols, such as RTP and friends

DNS needs UDP for sure.

I dunno if I need to allow UDP for anything.

Just for DNS if you don't have more protocols like NFS or the
like that use the UDP.

Make a lsof -i and look at the daemons you have and if they
are listening to UDP or TCP ports, or consult the /etc/services
list to know if your services need UDP or not.

chris

Regards.