Re: valid INPUT/OUTPUT rule piece?--> '-p tcp --tcp-flags ACK, FIN FIN -j DROP', etc.

Lopsch

Thanks for your email.  I know a little about TCP flags.
IIRC, ACK means 'Acknowlegement'
and FIN means 'Finish Connection'.

Why would TCP want everyone to turn on ACK when they
want to finish a connection with FIN?

I assume that TCP was written to do 2 errands in one
TCP datagram?...1. acknowledge last datagram received
                2. terminate connection

It seems odd you can't terminate a connection (FIN)
without also acknowledging something to me.

Chris

--
_______________________________________

Christian Seberino, Ph.D.