Weird behaviour when compiling iptables

Hi, I hope I'm posting my question in the correct place.

Here is the issue - I'm using  the "Core Linux" distribution on an old
PC to aplly some traffic shaping on my ADSL connection. I had no
problems compiling Iptables in the begining and all works for now.

Now - where the problems start. I wanted to try to see how the Layer-7
classifier performs (http://l7-filter.sourceforge.net), so i got the
patches, applied them and tried if it compiles. The kernel worked with
no problem, i compiled it and replaced the old one. However iptables
did not - i type "make KERNEL_DIR=/correct/path/to/patched kernel" and
it just stays there. Nothing happens - no messages no nothing.

So i mailed the guyz, asking for advice and it turned out i can't
compile iptables again whatsoever. I deleted the source file, unpacked
again and tried just "make" - with the default kernel path -  wich is
to unpatched 2.4 files. Same effect - nothing happens , no mesages no
nothing. Compiling it, still without the Layer 7 patch, but with the
2.6.9 kernel dir - same effect.

So I wonder what I did mess up.. I honestly don't remember with wich
kernel I compiled iptables in the first place, but it should have been
with 2.6.9, because it all works without any problems. (Core comes
with 2.4.something by default, but i replaced it almost immediately so
i don't think i compiled anything before switching to 2.6.9).

If you have any ideas how to fix this, please let me know. Thanks.

--
Atilla