RE: Performance of iptables with web proxy

Read the entire question again...  It has more to do with iptables than
squid.

You probably could do some type of fancy pre/post routing.  What you
would need to do is write a special routing entry that says anything on
port 80 or 443 going out the firewall that is from any IP address other
than the proxy server needs to be routed to the proxy.  I'm not sure how
to do this directly.

But if the proxy server is in the firewall then the rules change.  This
is from the squid site.  This redirects you to another port on the same
server but what you want is

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT
--to-port 3128

There is another module named tproxy (or something like that) which
sounds like it might do what you want but it might require a kernel
recompile.

HTH

Gary