Re: Restricting access to certain network interfaces for certain users

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 12:12, Straxus wrote:

> I'm trying to limit which network interfaces a given user can access.
> I have two network cards (eth0 and eth1), and I've set up all sorts of
> virtual interfaces (eth0:0, eth0:1, etc) to give the cards multiple IP
> addresses.

I don't have a solution, but I've always considered it a bizarre
departure from the unix security model that Linux does not have
an underlying device in the filesystem with associated owner/group
that has to be opened before gaining access to the network.  Does
anyone know the history of this omission?  I wouldn't expect this
to apply to individual interfaces, but I thought that SysV had
something like /dev/tcp where permissions where applied.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx