Re: ever block *outgoing* packets on your firewall?

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 12:02:28PM -0800, seberino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm wondering if it is ever necessary to block
> *outgoing* packets at your firewall.
>
> As long as you block /incoming/ carefully no hacker
> on the Internet can send spam through a node on
> your network or anything nasty like that right?
>
> (I'm wondering for a wifi hotspot if any nastiness
> will happen if I don't block outgoing.  I block
> virtually all incoming except ssh.)

i run a default DROP policy on the OUTPUT chain of my firewalls and only
allow out necessary traffic (DNS, HTTP/FTP to update servers, NTP, etc).
but i'm pretty odd when it comes to these things--i don't know how
necessary it is.  the one nice side-effect is that is keeps me from
doing something stupid when i'm ssh-ed into a firewall.

-j