Re: simple PC-based router using IPTABLES

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Lim Boon Ping wrote:

> I need some help on using IPTABLES to setup a simple PC-based router
> (for LAN usage). The PC consists of a 10/100 NIC on eth0, and a gigabit
> fiber NIC on eth1. The gigabit fiber NIC is connected to another
> fiber-based port, whereas the 10/100 NIC is connected to a 10/100 hub.
> Now, for all packets coming from eth0, forward it to eth1, and vice
> versa.  Could anyone verify/suggest commands to set for this setting?

You don't need to use iptables at all if you just want a router. And
perhaps you want to set up a bridge, anyway.

> # iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1
> # iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0
>
> Is it that's all we need to do?

Those commands don't do anything useful.

I suggest you start here:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/iptables/

Google will also find you many, many descriptive articles on setting up
routers and firewalls using netfilter/iptables.

---
Charlie