RE: packets traverse on proxy/firewall

netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> hello masters im configuring firewal + proxy/cache server "squid" both
> on the same machine for our client. I gota few question regarding
> traverse of packet in this scenrio
> Proxy is transparent (interception)
>
> 1) packets (port 80 requests) from client will traverse INPUT chain
> not FORWARD chain right?

Yes, if :
- you do not allow a NATed connection from the clients (otherwise
clients that are not configured correctly will bypass Squid and use the
FORWARD chain),
- the client is configured to use the proxy or if
- you redirect http traffic to port 80 to Squid in which case you don't
need to configure the client.

> 2) squid will fetch the content on behalf of the clients packet leave
> cache/firewall machine via OUTPUT chain right?

Yes.

> 3) which chains packets will travers when response coming back from
> Internet that is Internet ----> Cache --->Clients

(Not looking at connection states as you'd normally accept related and
established connections :)

Client asks http page from a webserver : it makes a connection to Squid
(INPUT).
Squid receives the request, decides to fetch the page and makes a
connection to the webserver (OUTPUT).
The webserver sends the requested page back to Squid (INPUT).
Squid sends the page back to the client (OUTPUT).

> Default policies for INPUT, OUTPUT , FORWAD will be DROP in which
> chains i have to do filtering in either case i-e
> Clients ----->Firewal/cache-----Internet and
> Internet --->Firewall/cache----->Clients

Gr,
Rob