Re: ip aliasing considered harmful?

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 01:46, Curby . wrote:
> I've currently got two Internet-facing IP addresses on my gateway using a
> single interface.  I have them configured as eth0:0 and eth0:1, but I've
> read several times on this list that doing it this way (I think it's called
> aliasing?) is not recommended.  IIRC the recommended alternative was to use
> the ip command to handle it.

that is correct.

> Why is that alternative preferable?  The only thing I can see now is that
> I'd have to double the number of iptables rules in some cases to take care
> of eth0:0 and eth0:1 instead of just eth0.

that's why 'ip addr add w.x.y.z dev eth0' is preferable--it doesn't
delude you into thinking you have multiple interfaces, because you
don't.  try and add a rule for eth0:0 and let us know how it goes.

> If i use ip, can I simply point
> all rules to eth0 instead of eth0 and eth0:1?

yes--as eth0 is the only actual interface in this example.  eth0:0 and
eth0:1 are a figment of your imagination perpetuated by the use of the
ifconfig command.

> Lastly, are there any downsides at all for doing it with ip?

no.

> For example,
> eventually I'll want to SNAT and DNAT packets based on whether they're
> related to one Internet-facing IP or another, and I just want to make sure
> that would still be possible.  Thanks!

yes.  the only distinguishing feature of the packet is the IP--the only
interface involved here is eth0.

-j

--
"If something is to hard to do, then it's not worth doing."
	--The Simpsons