Re: questions about chain traversal, new ascii diagram

Curby . wrote:
----Original Message Follows----

http://joerg.fruehbrodt.bei.t-online.de/pics/abb3_netfilter_ablaufdiagramm.jpg

What about the mangle decisions, do you also want to include them :D?

It looks reasonable, but if this is true then the article I mentioned was wrong. Perhaps there should be a disclaimer by the link on the netfilter documentation page?

Does anyone know the answers to my other questions? Specifically, is it due to style or technical reasons that people don't filter traffic in PREROUTING, and instead put the same rules in both FORWARD and INPUT?

Respecting johns answer - as I don't do much firewall stuff, but I thought it was because there are no filter tables in pre/post.

http://www.docum.org/docum.org/kptd/

I think you were probably just being facetious, but I wouldn't mind knowing when the mangle chains come into play. If we have to jump to them explicitly though, then I'll just RTFM. =)

AIUI use mangle if you want to mark/change(mangle) packets eg TOS bits.

Thanks again!

--Curby