[Fwd: Re: questions about chain traversal, new ascii diagram]

Curby . schrieb:
----Original Message Follows----

http://joerg.fruehbrodt.bei.t-online.de/pics/abb3_netfilter_ablaufdiagramm.jpg

What about the mangle decisions, do you also want to include them :D?

It looks reasonable, but if this is true then the article I mentioned
was wrong.  Perhaps there should be a disclaimer by the link on the
netfilter documentation page?

Does anyone know the answers to my other questions? Specifically, is it
due to style or technical reasons that people don't filter traffic in
PREROUTING, and instead put the same rules in both FORWARD and INPUT?

I think you were probably just being facetious, but I wouldn't mind
knowing when the mangle chains come into play.  If we have to jump to
them explicitly though, then I'll just RTFM. =)

Thanks again!

--Curby

They are traversed before the other ones e.g.

PREROUTING mangle -> PREROUTING nat -> FORWARD mangle -> FORWARD filter
-> POSTROUTING mangle -> POSTROUTING nat

PREROUTING mangle -> PREROUTING nat -> INPUT mangle -> INPUT FILTER ->
local process

local process -> OUTPUT mangle -> OUTPUT nat -> OUTPUT filter ->
POSTROUTING mangle -> POSTROUTING nat

Greets

--

PGP-ID 0xF8EAF138