input filter

Hi,
I am a newbie and I was reading the howto for packet
filter. The howto has the following picture:

Incoming                 /     \         Outgoing
       -->[Routing ]--->|FORWARD|------->
          [Decision]     \_____/        ^
               |                        |
               v                       ____
              ___                     /    \
             /   \                   |OUTPUT|
            |INPUT|                   \____/
                ----> Local Process ----

The input filtering is done only for local bound
packets and after the routing decision. Is the above
true ? Is there a facility to perform input filtering
before the routing decision ? Thanks.

Bhasker.