Re: Saving IPTable rules..oops

On December 29, 2004 05:29 pm, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 15:15, R. DuFresne wrote:
> <snip>

> > > The way I've typically seen it work is that the init.d/iptables script
> > > calls iptables-restore and passes it the /etc/sysconfig/iptables file.
> > > This file is written when you do init.d/iptables save.
> >
> > perhaps on redhat and debian, and maybe suse systems that have moved away
> > from the standard upon which linux was formed, namely bsd.  Those dists
> > that retain their bsd layouts have no /etc/init.d directory, everything
> > lies under /etc/rc.d/.  They also lack the red-hat layout of a
> > /etc/sysconfig/ directory.  And it's a shame things are seperating out in
> > the linux world like this as many of the tools and toys bewing created
> > either conform to the new redhat layouts or follow older established
> > standards.  Thus, some tools that have been coming out the past few years
> > are only good under redhat or debian or suse, and fail to function if
> > they compile at all, without being hacked prior to a make, and sometimes
> > my skills are not enough to hack them into compiling at all uunder a
> > different, more standard dist. <sigh>
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ron DuFresne
>
> Thanks for pointing that out, Ron.  I was going to mention it but then
> thought it would just muddy the waters.  We use both SYSV and BSD style
> scripts in the ISCS project.  The iptables script in the rc directories
> can still call iptables-restore and reference an iptables file.  That's
> what we typically do.  If I recall correctly, isn't there also a step in
> BSD style initiations that can call SYSV style scripts? I thought I
> recalled seeing that on Slackware - John

 And just to confuse things a tad Distro's like Gentoo /etc/inid.d/iptables
calls iptables-save iptables-restore directly and uses params
in /etc/conf.d/iptables to locate the file to feed into or out of
iptables-save/iptables-restore.

       And if you are slightly insane as I am, you've modified the save
function to keep x number of copies of the file in compressed format
somewhere.

    What me paranoid?

 Alistair