Re: Saving IPTable rules..oops

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 15:15, R. DuFresne wrote:
> perhaps on redhat and debian, and maybe suse systems that have moved away
> from the standard upon which linux was formed, namely bsd.

linux has no roots in *BSD.  linux uses the concepts of run levels;
wheres *BSD does not.  run levels are a concept taken from System V
style systems like Solaris 2.x+.

>  Those dists
> that retain their bsd layouts have no /etc/init.d directory, everything
> lies under /etc/rc.d/.  They also lack the red-hat layout of a
> /etc/sysconfig/ directory.  And it's a shame things are seperating out in
> the linux world like this as many of the tools and toys bewing created
> either conform to the new redhat layouts or follow older established
> standards.  Thus, some tools that have been coming out the past few years
> are only good under redhat or debian or suse, and fail to function if they
> compile at all, without being hacked prior to a make, and sometimes my
> skills are not enough to hack them into compiling at all uunder a
> different, more standard dist. <sigh>

the linux standards base is an attempt to address your concerns:

  http://www.linuxbase.org/

my guess is that the /etc/sysconfig/ concept will be part of it (if it's
not already--i haven't read through the whole thing).

-j

--
"Another day, another box of stolen pens."
	--The Simpsons