Re: Saving IPTable rules..oops

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 13:03, Jason Williams wrote:
> Morning.
>
> Well, spent a better part of the night playing with IPTables. Tried out
> some rules, tweaked this, broke that. Was a lot of fun.
>
> Anyway, as I am getting ready to make one of my servers go live, I realized
> something that I completely overlooked. Very important thing I might add.
>
> Basically, once you put all your rules into IPTables via the command line,
> how do you save your rules? I saw a command, iptables-save, but that just
> outputs the rules in a readable format.
>
> I started thinking and came up with the following:
>
> 1) Does iptables read the init script in /etc/init.d/ upon bootup of a
> server/box and use those rules for the system?
>
> or
>
> 2) Does it read a plain text file some where an use those rules instead?
>
> wasn't quite sure and since im going on 22 hours without sleep, im positive
> I missed it some where.
>
> With that in mind, was hoping someone could fill in the details.
>
> IF it is the case the the system reads the iptables init script upon
> bootup/restart, that means I need to work on my scripting. :)
>
> Anyways, hoping for a little clarity here.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Jason
The way I've typically seen it work is that the init.d/iptables script
calls iptables-restore and passes it the /etc/sysconfig/iptables file.
This file is written when you do init.d/iptables save.

If you really want to get fancy, you can save separate files in the
iptables-restore syntax (not particularly well documented) and adapt the
iptables script.  We do this in the ISCS network security management
project (http://iscs.sourceforge.net) to first boot the gateway into a
"safe" mode, i.e., almost nothing but DNS, NTP and SSH allowed.  We then
do things like set up specialized routing, enable the VPN and then load
a series of shared and local configuration files using iptables-restore
-n

Hope this makes sense after you get some sleep  :-( )  (big yawn)
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation